The exodus from Melbourne was greater than we had expected and it took us quite a while to reach the freeway – Sophie whinged, Rina talked, I knitted and Pete kept his cool – but it was worth the wait to get out of the city.  I worked on Sophie’s new pants in the retro Patons Totem thinking that I might actually dye the pants when they are finished but Pete thinks they look great.  They are really wide leg pants so she’ll look pretty hip once she starts to walk.  Reaching Myrtleford was such a great feeling after so long in the car, I had a few “baby pains” on the outskirts of Melbourne which I think were caused by being stuck in the car but they settled down pretty quickly – note to self, “wear looser pants in the car when on long trips!”.

Pete spent the afternoon with his Dad bottling last years wine so that they could wash out the barrels for this years batch.  

The bottling has to be done around the full moon while the wine is “settled” and before it begins to “move” again with the new moon – how amazing that the moon
affects so many things!

Stephen did the corking (and did a wonderful job) 

and Pete had to have a go.  There was much merriment when Pete and his Dad accidentally put a second cork into one of the bottles.

Needless to say that there was a great deal of wine drinking along with the bottling but we did manage some “family time” in the Cantina too….


It’s amazing how Italian families get together, often in my experience, over food.  Pete and his Dad spent the morning washing out wine barrels ready to put in the new batch of grape juice which had been fermenting for the past 10 days.  

They took a break around lunchtime and we went across the road to visit some relatives and, on our part, show off Sophie.  A wonderful time to visit as they were just beginning to fry the Grispelli (not sure of the spelling and can’t find a recipe on the net) – a wonderful Italian yeast treat that these amazing women make at
Easter and Christmas.

Grispelli rising under lots of

The potatoes were peeled the night before and then the cooking commenced at 3am.  The women began the construction of the Grispelli at 5am and by midday had 210 of the little beauties risen and ready to fry – did you catch that, 210 of them!!

I declared that I am going to learn the art at Christmas time – Number 2 will be 7 months old and Sophie will be a toddler so there will be plenty of family to see to them while I go and work – much to the pleasure of those who had worked so hard.  They wanted me in on an action photo….

but it looks like I have eaten them all!!  They tell me that Number 2 is definitely a boy…..

It was a wonderful atmosphere and I felt like it was something out of “Looking for
“, with all the family around having a great time together……


But the fun didn’t stop there, the afternoon was spent pouring wine from the tank to the barrels…..

And then putting the remaining pulp and seeds into the press to extract the last drops……

A wonderful, educational day full of fun, family and laughter – I just wish all of my family had been there too!!

Oh, and while Pete did all this work and everyone took turns entertaining Sophie, I continued to knit both Sophie’s pants and the horizontal herringbone (which is very hard to unpick when you find a mistake!) in between taking photos.


The day of new life brought the kids some Easter Eggs (and the big kids too luckily!).  Pete took Sophie to Church and the cemetery on Sunday morning after a horrible night – she has ended up with a bad cold and kept us awake pretty much right through the night.  After Church we had a big family lunch and visitors.  We went over to see the end of the local footy match and caught up with a few people.  We had an early night to make up for the previous one and prepare for the drive home on Monday morning.

It was a lovely Easter and I can see why Pete was so keen to spend it with his family…..